Archive for July, 2009|Monthly archive page

Paint Types & Where to Use Them

In Uncategorized on July 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm

High Gloss (70+ on a 60 degree gloss meter)

  • Where to Use – For kitchen & bathroom walls, kitchen cabinets, banisters & railings, trim, furniture, door jambs & windowsills. Comments – More durable, stain resistant & easier to wash. However, the higher the gloss, the more likely surface imperfections will be noticed.

Semigloss (35 to 70 on a 60 degree gloss meter)

  • Where to Use – For kitchen & bathroom walls, hallways, children’s rooms, playrooms, doors, woodwork & trim. Comments – More stain-resistant & easier to clean than flat paints. Better than flat for high-traffic areas.

Satin or Silk (Range overlapping eggshell & semigloss) – Similar characteristics to Semigloss & Eggshell.

Eggshell (20 to 30 on a 60 degree gloss meter)

  • Where to Use – Can be used in place of flat paints on wall surfaces especially in halls, bathrooms & playrooms. Can be used in place of semigloss paints on trim for a less shiny appearance.Comments – It resists stains better than flat paint & gives a more lustrous appearance.

Flat (less than 15 on a 60 degree gloss meter)

  • Where to Use – For general use on walls & ceilings. Comments – Hides surface imperfections. Stain removal can be difficult. Use for uniform, nonreflecting appearance. Best suited for low-traffic areas.

Matte Same characteristics as Flat.

Contact E-Z Painting for more information at 1-800-935-9520.


Painting Over Markings

In Uncategorized on July 3, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Another ‘Ask Mike’ question:


okay, so when I was 12 me and my friends thought it would be a great idea to have some fun with some sharpies on my painted walls. im sick and tired of looking at the ginormous cartoon dinosaur over and over again each morning. I know we have the same paint we used somewhere in our garage or something…if I paint over the marker will it be noticeable? it will be the same exact color the walls are now…


Yes, it probably will be noticeable. You have to apply a stain blocker over the markings first and then paint. Note: you may need two applications of the stain blocker to fully cover the markings. It is a great idea to have the stain blocker tinted to the finish color so once you apply the paint, you may only need one coat of paint. Sherwin-Williams or your local paint store will have the stain blockers you need. Let me know if you need anything else.

E-Z Painting Inc.